May 2, 2023 | 4 min read

Breaking the Cycle of Body Shop Refusals

Jake Wright - Product Marketing Manager

When a motor vehicle is involved in an accident and requires a tow, insurance carriers, service providers, and body shops all have essential roles to play. Importantly, these parties need to work together to ensure that the vehicle is recovered and repaired as quickly and...   Read Full Story

March 1, 2023 | 2 min read

Forbes Names Agero to Prestigious America’s Best Midsize Employers List for Second Consecutive Year

Kate Patty - Lead, Network Engagement

MEDFORD, Mass. – March 1, 2023 – Agero, whose leading B2B software and services enable auto manufacturers, fleets, insurers and others to support their customers at every stage of vehicle ownership, once again received recognition in the Forbes Best Midsize Employers list for...   Read Full Story

February 28, 2023 | 4 min read

How to engage with the right roadside customers at the right time

Frank Klemovitch - Senior Director, Product Management

When a mechanical failure occurs, customers often require a tow and a repair to resolve the underlying issue. Our goal is to make this experience as seamless as possible. When customers are faced with an unexpected repair, they struggle to determine a tow location and with the...   Read Full Story

January 23, 2023 | 3 min read

Interviewing with Agero 101

David Muller - VP, Talent Acquisition

So you received the call and your interview with Agero is scheduled - great! Now what? Our commitment to you, regardless of level and role, is putting you in a position to succeed in your interview. We'll make sure you have job descriptions and pre-interview prep materials in...   Read Full Story

January 11, 2023 | 4 min read

Built In Honors Agero in Its Esteemed 2023 Best Places To Work Awards For Third Consecutive Year

Kate Patty - Lead, Network Engagement

Company Earns Three Placements on 2023 List   Read Full Story

January 10, 2023 | 4 min read

Driving the customer experience with vehicle expertise

Tim Chung - Business Leader, OEM Roadside

Keeping up on all the new features, capabilities and technologies in the car industry is no small feat. Most of the time, a basic knowledge of how to work the car, safety features and the sound system is the only information a vehicle owner needs. But about once every two years,...   Read Full Story

December 14, 2022 | 4 min read

Agero Chosen to Improve, Modernize Vehicle Disablement Assistance for Industry-Leading Fleet Telematics Provider

Kate Patty - Lead, Network Engagement

Robust network, digital experience key to Geotab selecting Agero to support new roadside assistance program offering coverage to fleets in U.S. and Canada   Read Full Story

November 17, 2022 | 3 min read

Happy 50th Anniversary: Celebrating Five Decades of Innovation

The Wolk Family & Dave Ferrick

This is a special month for all of us at Agero, as we celebrate our 50th anniversary. For Sid Wolk, Agero’s founder, who started Agero (then known as Cross Country Motor Club) in October of 1972, this has been the journey of a lifetime, both personally and professionally. But...   Read Full Story

October 20, 2022 | 3 min read

Agero Applauded by Frost & Sullivan for Delivering Unparalleled Service to Drivers with Its Groundbreaking Driver Assistance Solutions

Kate Patty - Lead, Network Engagement

Agero’s platform offers comprehensive and efficient assistance to help drivers get back on the road safely.   Read Full Story

October 4, 2022 | 4 min read

In the Customer’s Shoes: A Firsthand Perspective on the Accident Management Experience

Jake Wright - Product Marketing Manager

Accident coverage is a service that most drivers have but nobody wants to experience – after all, who wants to be in an accident? For 32% of drivers, the accident claims process is something they’ve never experienced. In Spring 2022, I joined the other 68% after being...   Read Full Story